Tom cari: shrimp curry
A fast and flavourful dish.
Aka tôm cari, a really lazy dish, courtesy of my grandma (I suspect it’s a cross between a Vietnamese cari and a lazy Thai green curry. Also works with potatoes, carrots, and pretty much every kind of nourishing vegetable you can think of).
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tomatoes
- 200 mL coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 15 shrimps
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- Cut the eggplant, zucchni and tomatoes into slices.
- Put the shrimps in cold water with a heaped tablespoon of salt, leave them for 1-2 minutes, rinse, repeat and rinse again (this is to tighten the shrimps' flesh). Then mix the shrimps with a teaspoon salt, a teaspoon sugar and 2 of the chopped garlic cloves, and leave to marinate in the fridge for a bit.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, fry the remaining garlic, the curry paste and the shallot until fragrant. Add the coconut milk and mix well, then add the vegetables, bring to a low simmer, and cook everything until the vegetables are gooey. Add the shrimps and wait until they're cooked. Add sugar and fish sauce to taste. Et voilà!
- Serve with rice.