Wonderful take on a US classic.
So… I had blueberries, a toddler at home, and a need to do something that required very little brain power 🙂
I’ve adapted the recipe from Linda Collister and Anthony Blake’s The Bread Book, an excellent compendium of breads that also includes the odd pastry recipe. I have a variety of small cake pans we used for this, including an actual muffin pan (and some, er, more colourful ones 🙂 ). This is a dairy-free version.
- 100g cake flour (T45)
- 180g brown flour (T65)
- Large pinch of salt
- 85g caster sugar
- 11g baking powder
- Juice of half a lemon (~2 teaspoons)
- 280mL almond milk
- 60mL oil
- 1 egg
- 140 blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg or to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add all the other ingredients, saving the blueberries for last. Mix roughly (too much mixing makes tough muffins!).
- Transfer to muffin pans, filling them to ⅔.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are golden, their tops are split, and a skewer inserted in one of them comes up clean (well, bar the blueberry colour :p).